Tuesday 21 November 2017

"A Cold Morning" Step by Step

I've been a bit stressed out lately. While painting this piece I really released some of all the build up pressure and I realised just how much I love painting. I need to remember to paint even when I don't feel like it.

I'm still exploring the world of perspective and how to build up scenes. I feel like this is something that will be sticking around and help me evolve my personal style.

Painting a snowy scene was so much fun. This definitely won't be the last time I'm going to explore a winter wonderland. I've scanned my painting along the way so you can see how it has come to life.

I started with a sketch of the cabin in two-point-perspective and taped the edges with washi tape.


With liquid watercolour I painted a base with a light blue colour to represent both snow and the sky. Very roughly with gouache I shaped in the pine trees.


I then established some light and shadow on the trees to add shape to them.


Now it was time to paint the cabin. I first blocked in the sides of the cottage using gouache, this you can see on the right side of the little house. Afterwards I started to add some more details and corrected the colours. I experimented a little with the colours of the snow on the rooftop and really liked the outcome.


I added some pine tree shadows in the foreground to add some different colours to the snow.


For the finishing touches I painted snow on the trees. I used the light and shadow, I added to the pine trees early on, as guidelines for the change in colour in the snow.


-----


Gouache: Royal Talens
Liquid watercolour: Royal Talens

No comments:

Post a Comment